Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Midnight Diatribe: Taste the Bitter

I'm not sure I'm an idiot.

I mean, I know that obviously there are a few people who assume I am.

But I think they might be wrong.

Maybe.

I also don't think I'm the smartest person in the room.  In any room ever.  If I am in a room with only myself and my sister's cat, I'd bet that the cat is smarter than I am. 
This is Kitty.  She is regal
 


I have a high school education and I like to read a lot.  If I want to know more about something, I learn about it.  Researching is still cool, right?  I have more than a few years experience in a pizza restaurant, telling teenagers (and the occasional person older than me) what to do.  None of this leads me to believe that I'm going to go down in history as a great thinker. 

This is me.  I am not regal.

But guess what?  Still doesn't make me an idiot.

In fact, I have this theory that if we treated those around us with the kind of respect that suggest we assume they're intelligent and of worth, they would rise to the occasion.  I don't see anything wrong with assuming the group or individual I am speaking to, not only understands me, but probably has something to offer to the conversation.  Something I haven't thought of yet.  Something new I can learn.

So I really, really hate it when people treat me like less then they are.  Not my sister's cat.  I've come to expect that from Kitty, we have an understanding.  I don't enter her personal space and she lets me live.

Every time I get ignored and made to feel less than I am, I try to learn from it.  I try to make sure I take the next person who comes at me seriously.  I don't ignore them.  I would hate to make someone else feel like they were less than they are. 

People are important.  They should be treated that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment